Ramadan is observed by Muslims as a month of fasting and prayer, to mark the first revelation of the Quran to Muhammad. Each year, we ask our supporters to join us in prayer during this time.
But, why should Christians pray during the Islamic month of Ramadan?
Here are 3 reasons why we pray during Ramadan.
1. Christians face increased persecution during Ramadan. Believers who live in Muslim-dominated societies say that persecution is often more intense during Ramadan. If they decide not to fast, they stand out. This often brings unwanted attention, just like our brother in Nigeria who was attacked earlier in June 2016. This can result in increased harassment or violence, so we pray for Christians in Muslim contexts at this time.
2. Jesus tells us to pray for our persecutors. Islamic extremists, such as Islamic State and Boko Haram, are some of the worst persecutors of Christians worldwide. Jesus told us not to repay evil for evil, but rather to pray for those who persecute us: “But I say to you, Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you,” Matthew 5:44. This month reminds us to pray for Islamic extremists who persecute Christians. Read more: Bless those who persecute you part 2.
3. We desire for many Muslims to come to faith in Christ during Ramadan. Many Muslims fast during this month in the hope of getting closer to Allah and are often more open to those sharing the truth of the gospel. We have heard countless accounts of Muslims coming to faith during Ramadan. We pray for God to work through His people around the world to share the truth of Jesus with Muslims during this time.
Ramadan is a great time to pause and pray for these three groups of people. Check out A Dedicated Faith to get even more involved during Ramadan. Ramadan this year runs between 6 June and 5 July.
- Pray for Muslims seeking god during Ramadan to have a revelation of Jesus as God.
- Pray for Christians who were formerly Muslims, and secret believers, who may suffer more persecution at this time.
- Pray for Christians living in Muslim countries to be strengthened by the Holy Spirit as they may face increased persecution during Ramadan.
NEW ZEALAND: Support Open Doors ministry worldwide and give monthly here you can give here.